Monday, September 21, 2015

Long Overdue Update


(Whisper is looking at his 'sister' herd sheep in the picture above).

It's been awhile since Whisper and I have shown up here, I know; I haven't forgotten, really. We just keep doing what we've done.....medicine, training, visits to the wonderful vet....medicine, training, visits to the wonderful vet. I wondered if we were missed, and I see that some folks have stopped by even in our absence.

What I have learned in our absence is that this work with the fear aggressive dog doesn't end.....darn it. It can get better....Whisper is a border collie, a breed intended to work, and who long to work with stock. OCD is the status quo for border collies. If 'brain challenged' defines his interactions because of fear aggression, totally nuts describes him when he realizes sheep are anywhere in the Western Hemisphere. Usually once he enters the round pen, he calms down and becomes gentle with them.  Tired or hot, he can get unhappy and nippy.

But, he is better. Much better than when we began the journey. After herding some sheep around a couple weeks ago, he came out and ran up to another observer, smiling, wagging his tail. Happily he looked up. "Didn't I do good?" I tensed up, but quickly we called him away to go jump in the pond and cool off, and he--still happy and smiling--came along.

He's better.

We may be bringing another dog into our home soon....THAT will be a situation worth watching. Oh, but I love this boy. He is beautiful, and sweet, and a bit crazy. But I have never had a dog, even those of legendary greatness, who could read my thoughts as well as this one. Each morning we get up and I get the cheeze-whiz and give him his puppy prozac (or the generic thereof). Each day he runs with Jenni and Daddy, plays with the ball and the cat, knows he is loved, loves us to distraction, and has bonded with me beyond anything I believed possible.

The work is not over.....but there is progress. I am ever grateful for the folks who help. I pray someone who sees this takes heart and hope and knows that with their dog there is hope as well. Please know we are far, far from through, and I will never trust him completely. But there is progress and hope. Thank you all for the journey you take with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment